Dark screen on Nintendo switch after a dip in the bath🤣

Hi. I’m attempting to fix my nephew’s switch after his brother dropped it in his bath!
I’ve replaced a faulty battery and cleaned the contacts with ipa. It now works ok in docked mode but when out the screen is dark, only just visible when a torch is shined on it. The ribbon cable looks clean. Do I need a new screen? Your advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hey there,
It might either be the backlight that is broken, or the supply for the backlight. I myself would think that it’s the supply for the backlight, because the screen itself seems to be working. I for myself do not know which IC generates the backlight supply voltage, buy maybe someone else here does :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i would say its the backlight components that are the issue there. watching louis rossmans videos backlight carries alot of voltage. so most likely its that, i would say. screen on amazon isn’t too much to give it a shot though.

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for your help. Dose anyone knows which is the ic chip for the back light or how to test if its the back light? Would a new screen fix the back light. . I’m presuming its something on the mother board? Thanks again

2 Likes

Hey there,
the backlight is part of the display assembly. So if that really is broken, a new display should fix it. If the problem is on the mainboard, a new display will not fix it.

1 Like

If it’s like the macbooks you’ll find the connector burned out rather than the fuse

1 Like

Hey there,
Chances are pretty slim that there’s a second engineer on this planet implementing such a poor design. If I recall correctly that’s what Louis also says about those connectors…

Yep that’s where I got it from let’s just pray nintendo does better than apple but the switch was designed from the ground up unlike their other consoles so certain faults I think they should be able to get away with in such a case as long as they are fixed in the revision

1 Like