No back light even after replacing the LCD Twice

Hi. I’m having the same issue as post the “dark-screen-on-nintendo-switch-after-a-dip-in-the-bath”, but I didn’t want to hijack the thread, so I thought it would be best to start a new one. :slight_smile: . I bought a liquid damaged 2019 Nintendo Switch from eBay. I was able to take it apart and clean everything with IPA. When re-assembled, I thought it wasn’t working, but further investigate showed that it was working, but just the back light on the LCD was not as it would work fine in the Dock to the TV and I could see the image when a flashlight is shining on the LCD. I replaced the LCD and it worked for a minute until it was fully re-assembled. I assumed the LCD was bad and got another replacement, but same result. The original LCD cable for the back light connector had traces damaged by the previous owner attempting to fix it themselves and not really knowing how to do it.

Anyway, I would love to know if there is something more I need to investigate further to get the back light working. Appreciate any feedback. :slight_smile: Thank you!

So I may have figured out my own problem. As mentioned, I believe the previous owner did not carefully remove the backlight cable when they attempted to fix the Switch by just pulling the cable out of the socket. I believe that damaged the socket and so the black clamp does not fully push down and make contact with the ribbon cable after replacing the LCD. I figured this out by being able to insert the cable into the socket with the black clamp in the closed position. So, I used a plastic tool to push down on the pins from the top of the socket with the black clamp in the closed position, re-attached the battery, and there was backlight life on the LCD. I may later replace the socket, but only if it fails and I have to take it back apart. If I don’t have to go down the road of soldering, then I’m cool with that. Anyway, I hope this might help anyone else with a similar issue.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting what you found to be the problem! That really helps others with this issue.