Another One X that turns off then turns off (Partial power) with pictures!

I’ve read a few posts on here about users with their XBOX One X’s turning on and then immediately turning off. It seems that it could be the APU or southbridge as I don’t seem to have a short anywhere.

I bought this XBOX knowing it was bad, but I wanted to try my hand at fixing it. I started by going over the board and looking for the obvious, corrosion, burned chips, or bloated capacitors. The board itself is in pristine condition. The seller said the XBOX was working fine until it was knocked off their entertainment center. I did find some broken plastic bits while taking it apart, but curious how to narrow down the issue to either the southbridge or APU?

Ive checked voltages and am getting 11.6 volts dc everywhere it should be. The test points on the top of the board show a power spike of a few volts during power on, but 0v normally. The fan never starts spinning, but i’ve tested the fan and know that it is good.

I just tried to upload the pictures and am unable to. Will try to generate some links for them. I have some high-res pics of the board.

Has anyone successfully done a DIY reball for the APU or Southbridge?

Did you ever try to reball? I have a system doing the same thing and am at a loss…

I have not attempted a reball yet. I’m reserving that as a last resort. I did try to do a reflow of the APU, but that had no effect.

Not sure if anyone has a working X that can chime in, but I went through all of the test points and recorded the voltages and resistance values of each.

TP1 V_3P3 - 11.5k Ohms & 3.3v present on power on
TP2 V_SOCPHY - 60.2 Ohms & ~400mv on power on. Power spikes and then disappears.
TP3 V_BATT - 11.7k Ohms & 1.8v
TP4 V_MEMIO - 123 Ohms & ~280mv on power on. Power spikes and then disappears.
TP5 V_SB1P8 - 2.6k Ohms - hidden by power supply. Will try to rig something up so I can test voltage
TP6 V_1P1STBY - 3.9k - 6.2k Ohms - keeps fluctuating between those two values
TP7 V_1P8STBY - 11.7k Ohms - hidden by power supply. Will try to rig something up so I can test voltage
TP8 V_SB1P1 - 1.6k Ohms / ~ 1.5v on power on. Power spikes and then disappears.
TP9 V_GFXCORE - Grounded .5 Ohms / 0v (possibly bad?)
TP10 V_3P3STBY - ~10k Ohms / 3.3v
TP11 V_5PO - ~10k Ohms / 5v
TP12 GND
TP13 V_NBCORE - Grounded .4 Ohms / ~400mv on power on. Power spikes and then disappears.
TP14 V_MEMPHY - 8.8 Ohms / 0v
TP15 V_FUSE - 2.9k Ohms / 0v
TP16 V_SOC1P8 - 1.7k Ohms / 1.8v on power on.
TP17 V_12PO - resistance keeps fluctuating and can’t get a good reading / 11.6v
TP18 - Not sure where this TP is…
TP19 V_CPUCORE - Grounded 1.3 Ohms / 0v

Any luck I have an xbox one X but my 12v is shorted to ground. I’m not sure what to test on the 12v very limited information for the xbox X repairs.

No luck yet. I’ve kind of shelved the project for now until I have more time. For now it looks like all the voltages are correct and I have no grounds, so it’s either a dead SB, GPU, or a cold solder joint that needs a reball.