Beginner needing help with multimeter among other things. (Switch won't turn on/charge)

Hey. I bought a switch off of ebay by accident (I thought I was bidding on a different item, but it was too late before I noticed), however despite the accidental purchase, I wanted to try fix this switch, maybe I could get a good bargain if I could fix it?
I was told by the seller that the system had suffered water damage, they attempted to replace the heat sink but that didn’t fix the issue. So I opened it up, I checked the charge port to check if it was broken or any bent pins, from what I could SEE, it looked fine. I opened it up and saw no immediate corrosion, but before going any deeper, I put it all back together since I didn’t have a multimeter.
I acquired a multimeter, but it was totally different to the ones I’ve seen other people use, and that totally confused me. Will any multimeter work for testing for shorts?
Or will it not? I’m totally confused with how multimeters work, do I need to buy a new one because this one doesn’t have the settings? Unfortunately that multimeter is gone now so I can’t post any details on it. What I AM asking is,
what type of multimeter should I buy? Is there a specific one I should get? and What Settings should I set it to to test for shorts?

I really hope someone can help and enlighten an amateur like me.
Kind regards,
-John

If multimeters are confusing, you should learn how to use one first before attempting to fix a Switch, which is far more complicated then a multimeter.

1 Like

That doesn’t help at all.

In my personal opinion I would buy a autoranging multimeter. And to test for shorts set your multimeter to continuity mode and hold the black probe to ground and put red probe on one side of the capacitor and then put the red probe on the other side of the capacitor. You should only get a beep from one side of the capacitor if both side beeps. It means either the capacitor is bad or the ic chip. Hope that helps.

2 Likes