Hardware MODs For Energy Efficiency

I have original fat ps3 40g, fan sounds like a jet taking off :flight_departure:, any and all mods to get that as quiet as ps4 pro 7115 would be cool. I know ps3 uses crazy wattage too :triangular_flag_on_post:. Any steps to reduce that at same time would be awesome. :face_with_monocle:

Have you tried changing the thermal paste? This is probably the most effective way to do it. I have a few FAT PS3’s and they’re all mega loud.

No I haven’t yet it was on my list. I was hoping to gather many ideas and doing them all at the same time, maybe there is a better heat sink and fan as well as the liquid metal paste, maybe there is a chassis mod that allows for a radical layout but reduces energy while getting same performance. :flight_departure: :zap: :triangular_flag_on_post: :face_with_monocle:

To fix the fan issue just put new thermal paste that happends on everything and is not way to make the ps3 use less watts is like a high end computer it requires of that energy if you are interested of playing ps3 with less watts get a slim version or just use an emulator

You also need to replace the thermal compound under the IHS specially on the CPU.

Found a youtube, this guy basically built a custom chassis, replaced HDD with SSD, swapped the BD for a more energy efficient one, removed the fan, built a console sized heatsink…fanless. Wow, admirable job. Reduced wattage dissipated to just 73 watts while CPU temp at 43 degrees C (I think) after running 3 hours on max load. :astonished:
That is quite a project. Literally thinking outside the box. Beyond the scope for most people. Very cool idea though.

I’ll stick with changing the thermal paste, pads, maybe SSD.
Thanks everyone for the input. :smiley: