How to fix Dualshock 3 joystick?

I have a PS3 slim and Dualshock 3 that came with it. The joysticks get stuck all the times and are unresponsive. So I would like to replace them, but the problem is how to properly remove them and find compatible replacement joysticks. For reference, in my Dualshock 3 the joysticks are not soldered on but connected via ribbon cable. As original Dualshock 3 are not available around anymore, this fix is only way to get back to those old memories.

Third party really aren’t fixable you can only really find parts for first party unless you get a busted controller of the same type with good parts of the type you need

1 Like

Hey @PinkLightning, thanks for your reply. But I am talking about original Dualshock 3 controller only which was the last revision.

Oh you can get their parts on ebay they are first party though you need to have soldering skills and as far as I know the ps3 controllers didn’t have revisions only the consoles did

1 Like

Unfortunately eBay is closed in India. I am attaching picture of Dualshock 3 which I am referring.(source:psdevwiki.com)MSU_VX8_unknown_(Bottom)|690x388

I’ve never seen that style before

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that’s a fake

1 Like

Seriously? It came with PlayStation 3 slim which I bought from official Sony Center. Actually PS3 slim box had information written in Russian language.
Model Number : CECHZC2EA

It might not be…I’m not super familiar with the DS3 but it just looks like it could be. I’m sure there will be others who look at this post that can say for sure.

1 Like

This is an original PS3 Dualshock controller. I’ve worked on several of these. There are 2 of these controllers with small motherboards, 1 with small ic chips and one with bigger ic chips.
@Imtiyaz you can remove the analog stick with a small screwdriver, lift the ribbon away from the leg of the stick and you should see 4 small slots under the ribbon, use the small screwdriver and gently unsnap the stick from the plastic. If you dont have access to ebay you might try something like AliExpress. Hope this helps you out.

1 Like

Wait that looks like the internals of the old aftermarket skull ps2 controllers try finding one and tearing it down for the internals I used to steal the joycons from them for other controllers because the sticks crack and break

1 Like

@rmac4411 I have tried removing analog sticks, but placing new stick seems harder because we have to precisely bend the pins. I did find few replacement sticks on Ali express. I will give that a shot and post the progress here.
Thanks all for helping.

1 Like

This is the latest model of the DS3s it’s Original . Most came bundled with the SuperSlims.
you don’t need to bend any pins on the Analog assembly replacement. just make sure that the correct side of the conductive flex touches the pins firmly by pressing the rubber stopper harder in.

2 Likes

@Imtiyaz ok let me know how it turns on for you, good luck.

1 Like

I’ve never had to bend pins to replace sticks

1 Like

Hi everyone, I understand that’s an old post but more than 3 years after…their is still nowhere help for this subject :frowning:
my case is 100% the same as @Imtiyaz , unfortunatly, we never seen the progress. my question are the sames as the end of the tread, i opened the ds3, try to understand what @rmac4411 explained but don’t want to break everything…it’s hard to identify the slots under the ribbon to unsnap the stick…it seems that their is 3 pins bended on the plastic that lock it (i can only identifie that…). I think we have to untwist them to unlock the stick but I’m really not sure…and like imtiyaz told, it should be forced to bend them back to lock the new one…but Royginald_PXP & PinkLightning said it’s not needed…i’m completely lost :frowning:
Any help would be welcome become it’s pretty hard today to find original sony ds3. Thanks :wink:

High, I have this same controller and had so search for a while before I ran into someone who made a youtube video fixing this same PS3 controller. In case anyone needs help on this type of controller in the future. Title name on youtube is " Fixing Stick Drift on a DualShock 3: Easier than I thought" by TitanRepairs