Identifying melted component

I need help identifying this component so I can replace it. I was being careless and accidentally melted it… It looks like it might be an inductor? It’s just below the CPU.
(It says I can’t embed media items in a post, so I will try to add a reply with the picture)

likely 0.22uH inductor
REF:

(Pg.66)

1 Like

Thank you so much! I will try replacing it and let you know how it goes!

Thanks again for answering my question. I have a follow up question. I’ve looked on some component vendor websites, and there’s seems to be many different types 220nH/0.22uH SMD inductors. Which kind do I need? Or how do I find out which kind do I need? I was going to provide links to some I had found, but apparently I’m not allowed to do that. I have looked on digikey and mouser. (I live in the US, btw, in case that matters for shipping or whatever.)

Just like replacing same car tire, you need to look at main spec for this component.
Current Rate, size, values.
From quick search on Digikey.part#DFE252010F-R22M=P2 is likely the one, or
MAMK2520HR22M from Taiyo yuden manufactor

1 Like

Excellent! Where is the main spec? Table 2 on page 31 of that document? Forgive my ignorance, I’m just getting started in this electronic fixing world.

Yes, I didnt even see that table before quick lookup on DIgikey LOL

1 Like

A bit of an update: I suck at this. I ordered 5 of these inductors, and have destroyed 4 of them trying to install them … I don’t have a hot air rework station, just a $45 soldering iron from Amazon. Let’s say I can’t get this inductor installed, would it be the worst thing in the world if I just put a tiny jump wire there instead? I did that a few days ago and got it to boot up just fine and everything seemed to work correctly. I’m not a computer engineer so I don’t understand what possible future problems I might be causing by removing the inductor.
Tl;Dr: I suck at soldering inductors, can I just put a jump wire there instead?

My understanding is that the inductors ensure that the voltage supplied is stable, with no large spikes or drops in power. I would expect that removing it could causes crashes if the power dropped, or damage if it spiked for some reason.

So, if you can get an inductor on there I would do so, and I wouldn’t sell it on without one. A hot air station would help a lot here. In the absence of one, I would probably tin one pad, and clean off the other one, then melt the solder on the tinned pad before sliding the inductor into place. Then I would try and get some solder on the other pad… oh, and use flux.

1 Like