Is this Nintendo switch pcb repairable? First time soldering!

So I’m new to micro-soldering and all, I for whatever reason, even after watching so many videos online, assumed that I had to remove Everything from the pcb. I thought the shiny stuff was solder. I kept at it with the wick and I believe I ended up stripping the pads out completely.

After watching my video and other videos online, I realized my mistakes. Is this board done for?

Edit: how do post a pic on here?

HTTPS : / / ibb. co / HtVWps9

It might be, but its not something I would attempt. At this point i would probably put that CPU back on a different parts board that has a dead CPU, and move over anything else the parts board is missing.

That’s what I was afraid of. Sigh, we’ll that’s how you learn! Thanks for your input. Anyone else have any insights/experience with something like this?

I’ve done a few repairs such as this of similar severity. I wouldn’t conduct this repair on a customer board etc but if it’s just for you and to learn this will probably be really great practice for you, more important though is the condition of the SoC itself as it’s more likely that has been exposed to excess heat which has more likely killed it, you can get an idea of this by looking at the resin colour around the die, if it’s brown it’s likely dead and makes the board repair not worth the time.

If the SoC looks good and you want to continue for practice I’d go with the pad repair strips otherwise you’ll be there all day with wire :slight_smile:

Why did you removed the CPU in First place?

If it’s dead, there it is Not worth to replace it it. If it’s working, there is also no need to remove it :slight_smile:

Nintendo switch had a blue screen. I tried to reflow it but I prob killed it because it wouldn’t turn on anymore.

So I attempted a reball, and this was the results of my ignorance.

This isn’t a customers board.

Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

Didn’t know that was possible. Any good videos you’d recommend?

Never done this before but super interested to try!

There is no youtuber that I can think of that uses the copper pad repair strips to my liking so I can’t suggest them :slight_smile: but I think the video in this Aliexpress listing does a pretty decent job of showing how to use them

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002656479874.html?spm=a2g0o.search0302.0.0.6eeaf587T3W9Tm&algo_pvid=52e3696c-1e69-488f-a66e-63aea1080731&algo_exp_id=52e3696c-1e69-488f-a66e-63aea1080731-18

though I have to say I’m not all that fond of this brand of strips as imo the copper is too thin and I would instead find and get the BST brand of thicker pad strips, then you’ll just need the UV curable solder mask to hold them down

Yeah give it a go, even if the outcome doesn’t work or the SoC or other is dead, it’s all good practice and the knowledge gained will help you next time… best way to learn is by failing, many, many times :smiley:

If you don’t know or haven’t got one already, you’ll need a dedicated reball jig (the bronze coloured ones work best) for the SoC in order to reball - preformed solded balls 0.35mm (BST brand is my preference) avoid using stencils and solder paste on this chip as it’s too large for that imo

Northridge fix uses it. Sometimes when reparing hdmi or usb Ports, the pads are ribbed off

But I dont know how you can restored the round pads under the CPU, since you cant solder the pads onto anything, since the pads go straight into the board.

Pads which have no surface level trace connecting to them will have a via “stalk” - you’d usually just reveal it slightly, tin it, then solder the round copper lug to that then cover with UV mask, cure then re-reveal the new pad with a blade. There is also plenty of no connects below the SoC and these will be the first to be pulled in these instances as theyre inherently less tied into the board, you can easily tell these apart as they have what I call “butterfly stitches” on them - IE: two dashes, you don’t havy to worry about repairing these ones

Very helpful. I ordered a whole bunch of tools. I inspected the SoC and the IC, they’re both stripped of their pads pretty severely, and I do believe I might’ve killed the SoC with my heat gun.

More than likely, this one is dead, but I might just try practicing on it in order to learn. I have another switch with the blue screen that doesn’t work even when applying pressure on the SoC.

I’ve seen some videos online, sometimes it could also be the RAM that needs a reflow/reball. I’m just not sure how to apply the heat in a safe manner to get the SoC off safely.

I’d suggest you search the forum regarding this, BSODs are not just caused by SoC or Ram but there is also other causes which I’ve covered a fair few times :slight_smile:

Beginners I tend to reccomend using a preheater for this and of course practice, practice, practice. For the more experienced you can preheat the backside of the board with hor air gun prior and for the even more experienced you can use the hot air straight of the bat