Joy-cons frequently disconnect during hand-held mode

Hey everyone!

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed, but i scrolled down and couldn’t find it so I figured i would start another one.

So the issue I am having is while my joy-cons are connected directly to my switch (handheld mode) the joy-cons (both sides and different joy-cons) frequently disconnect. I have to disconnect and reconnect them and it will still happen. INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING… Not positive but it seems to happen more often if i am holding it then lay it down? or maybe its just generally changing the orientation? If anyone has any advice on a fix Please let me know! It would be greatly appreciated! :smiley:

abe

i guess i should clarify… I don’t mean they physically disconnect. I mean electronically, as in the connectivity. So i have to physically detach and reattach them.

My kids switch does this a lot… he get really upset with it so I feel your pain!
Most likely it is a dirty or loose connection somewhere.
I would start with trying to clean both the pins on the joy con and inside the switches rail itself.
I tend to use a small brush, a toothbrush should work, and some IPA.
If this doesn’t help, I would start with the cheapest stuff first, like replacing the switches rails. There are things that can prevent the joycons connecting, but they usually just dont work at all…

i think there is a little mosfet near the cooling fan that has a chance to go bad. If it does fail it will stop both the fan from working and the joy cons from connecting / charging. Might be worth looking into as a possible fix.

1 Like

sorry, typo, i said mosfet but pretty sure that’s actually a diode looking at it. Kinda sucks we can’t edit posts past a certain time