Mariko Switch cannot boot past the Nintendo logo, Hekate boots fine

Oops, sorry, see your other images are in that link, I’ll take a look :slight_smile:

CPU gave me 28 ohm, and PSYS gave me 330 ohm, is this normal or is my meter going bad haha

I’m sorry about that as I’m pretty sad that I broke my switch :sweat:

I’ve removed the flex to clean up the blob so I don’t have any photos now. Crap.

K, that’s both fine :+1: (assuming diode is present on PSYS)

that’s alright, just needed to confirm :slight_smile:

No worries, so looking at the second photo. Solder looks really crusty, what type are you using? those caps do look iffy like you say, could do with a slightly clearer shot though :+1:

I should have marked what those caps on the SoC corelate with in my image when I was measuring but didn’t think too. one batch correlates with the GPU and another batch correlates with the CPU(2) rail/s. The modchip connects up to the CPU(1) rail.

Given your resistance readings, despite the messy solder on these SoC caps, it would seem likely that this isn’t your problem (though I would tidy this up) perhaps the reason your solder looks so dry is because of the thermal mass and tools not being quite up to the task. When your cleaning up the solder at the locations, have your hot air help out while using your iron, set the hot air temp to about 150C and hover it in the area while using your soldering iron to touch everythin up with flux :+1:

Either way, as it stands, it’d have me leaning towards the Max IC being at fault due to the damage, but regardless, as I mentioned earlier, I’d swap it out whatever the weather.

1 Like

There’s actually some thermal paste on top which makes them look dull, but I guess it is also pretty bad solder. I need to get new ones soon. :crazy_face:

Oh this is actually very helpful! I’ve never seen anyone using a hot air to aid with soldering, but now to think about it, it would actually help out a lot! Thanks for the tip!

So it is the MAX IC that got damaged and needs to be replaced. I’m already ordering a chip and a new heating element for my hot air. Wish me luck! :smile:

1 Like