Need to vent and question about charge port replacement

Well, just discovered the used switch I bought from eBay had a bad charge port. I got the old one off but for the life of me could not get the second one on. I heated the solder from the top and when it liquified i the pressed the connector in place. So frustrating to not know if the second row is in. Also, if there are duplicate pins like Vbus and I lift a trace on one of them will the other still make it work?

Also after all that the motherboard got crunched in half by my microscope coming down on it. So this one is toast. Hard to have a hobby that’s so expensive to learn.

Any tips on the charge port installation? I’ve seen people heat from the bottom. What temp and how long do you put the heat for. I tinned both the pads and the pins of the port.

Thanks.
Broken switched
Jeff

You could still use the soc and emmc on a board with a dead soc/cpu ^^

Use some solder that melts at a relatively low temperature and properly tin the connector and pcb pads
I solder them in @ 380°c - 400°c with preheated board and “so long that both rows sink in”

One missing vbus line is not that bad but i would still restore the pad because it can cause some issues with high power charging

Do not heat the board up from the bottom in order to solder the connector into place, the glue between the pcb layers can make bubbles and separate them if you aren’t experienced

I think removing and readding an SOC onto another switch would be waaaay too much for me. If you shouldn’t heat from the bottom why do most people, including Tronixfix show the heating being done from the bottom?

I’m going to try another connector on the busted board, couldn’t hurt anyways.

Thanks.
Jeff

Well they know how to properly use the hot air gun but still risk breaking the board and causing some issues

NorthrigeFix has some videos in which he solders on the connector properly from the top side and without issues

Makes sense. I am not used to using hot air on no lead solder. I’ve done hand soldering at .5mm pitch. But with an iron. From what I’ve observed, preheat the board at 200 for two minutes then raise heat to 350-400 and keep moving the air around.