Nintendo Switch , NO POWER, already checked for M92T36, shorts under CPU

many of the inductors near the maxx have a very low value (63 ohms, while others are at the values of megaohms, (the ones on the top of the maxx ic)

icbw but after checking I think the fuse youā€™ve installed is rated at only 1.5A the original I think is rated at 3.5A and typical max current draw is approx 2A on a working board, so I would see if you have continuity across the fuse.

Thats fine if your measuring across it

Thatā€™s now normal but something was skewing the rail prior, the most important rail on the board, unfortunately this may have already spelled the end for this one man :frowning:

That sounds fine.

If the board is now spotless can you take some photos of your M92 IC install at various angles so we can check?

there is continuity

:frowning: i hope not, but im quite sure iā€™m screwed

of course here they are

These are photos of a day ago, cause iā€™m not home rn, i will come back though on sunday. Next week i will buy a new board, iā€™m pretty sure this is over and it has finished very badly :frowning:
i could try reflowing the cpu, if that would help, as the last (and desperate) step

i also have to add that, when i got the board the cpu was making noises, like sibiling, it stopped later.

The CPU does make noises, like a high pitched chirp when it is doing things, thatā€™s normal.

it was making noises, it even registered in rcm mode, but now, itā€™s just plain dead, i will reflow when i come back home, if you have any ideas, they will be welcome, thank you

Iā€™m thinking this is simply an M92 issue or surrounding components, which is why I think your not seeing itā€™s in an RCM state when connected to USB. There was a testpad on the rear which goes high near the PMIC (I think itā€™s 1.2V) when the board is in RCM but Iā€™ve long since forgotton which testpad it was.

I wouldnā€™t reflow anything else, particularly the SoC as you will come back to this later once youā€™ve honed your skills :slight_smile:

When your back, submerge the board in IPA and scrub off all the flux with a toothbrush, your last few photos itā€™s still too caked Iā€™m afraid, then try to show us the pins around all sides of the M92 and BQ IC.

I would very much recommend getting a microscope, even if its just a cheap Ā£10 USB one you can plug into your phone. It is so hard to get a good idea on things this tiny with a normal phone camera.

This is a long thread. TLDRā€¦ can you update your post? Started off rather easy then you did a bunch of stuff. So a recap please =)

He, or somebody before him has reflowed pretty much every IC on the board, and I think in the process has made the situation worse, CPU 0 rail was affected but following clean up has been restored, in doing so though it may be this boot CPU has been fried.

As there is flux residue obscuring everything, I suspect bridges and/or solder debrs (or there was prior to the cleanup)ā€¦ but cannot see. I think the unit is in an RCM state but think because of M92 or USB issues itā€™s not showing up on PC as indicated by the previously blown fuse which has since been replaced with the wrong type.

Given that this is a CPU-20 board there is a high probability this is a patched unit, but it may be worth trying to load up the Hekate payload and seeing what TegraRCMGUI spits back out in the log

Thank you severance, when i get back home from my vacation i will do what you have suggested. i will try to get a better lighting over the photos. i wanna thank you with the response to @GameGuys as iā€™m not good at describing things well.

when i got the board, there was flux everywhere, i instantly understood that the dude tried to repair and then sold the console as ā€œit just diedā€, 14 days are passed, i cannot send back the console. my only hope is that the cpu is not fried,

the board was also manefactured in 2018, prior to the patched units. when it showed up as upx or something like that , i used a webtool to try and test if it would run any payload, it got stuck to waiting for console :frowning: then it died.

i want to buy it, but now i want firstly to try if what @Severence said will give me anything good, i will submerge the console when i get back home and i will give it a good cleanup with a thootbrush.

I want to thank yā€™all to helping me this further. especially @Insomniac and @Severence

@Severence Hi there, still 0.00amps, i should also mention that i lost a little component when i replaced the m92t36 which may or may not be important. Below there is the photo of the M92 chip, and the little component that i replaced with a resistor

Photo of the component

i just noticed that there might be a bridge on the 3 vertical caps above the M92, trying to fix it now

nope, removed the bridge still 0.00

On my parts board that component is unpopulated.

mabye removing this comp, would help? im out of things to try, ready to give up and make this console die with a cpu reflow

i really think that iā€™m done with this, i will give the last shot with the reflow, i know that this will kill the console. i am very aware that this is toasted. i will trow it in into the junk. thank you guys for what you have done. The dude on ebay has been very sketchy.

Even if it is a write off, I wouldnā€™t bin it. If you are ever looking to repair another there will likely be some useable parts on there.

Hey,

What component are you talking about near M92 IC are you talking about that you knocked off?

And seriously dude, donā€™t waste your time reflowing SoC, itā€™s completely unreleated to 0A current, this is an M92/USB reated issue still

Looking at the pic, its not near M92 but up by the ALC chip on the back.

Ah, perhaps the OP can circle the component just to confirm.

Also, if you can take a few photos of the M92 pins round the edge of the IC so we can inspect and same with the BQ IC.

And, might also be worthwhile afterwards connecting battery and then USB and putting one probe on ground and the other on both sides of the fuse near USB and letting us know the voltage either side :slight_smile: