No charge, completely dead

This is going to be my first attempt at repairing a nintendo switch, but I’m very nifty, so bear with me.
No life at all. I haven’t used it in a couple months or so. When I went to plug it in, it was totally dead. It won’t charge the device nor the joycons, wether on the dock or straight to the console. I’m thinking either bad battery or bad USB-C plug. I don’t know how to diagnose and check these things, but I’m all ears.

Does the dock react if you plug the console into it?

You can take the console apart and check the battery with a multimeter, if it is under 3v it is “too empty” and it might be that the charging chip does not accept it (you can charge it up externally with a charger stolen from a cheapo powerbank)

You can also check the charging chip, it should become 4-5V on a capacitor next to it (should be the one on the bottom near the joycon connector)

No response from the dock. I’ll have to get a multimeter. I’ll keep you posted

Sorry I’m just now getting back to you. Battery reads at .1-.3 volts, and the charging port pins are obviously bent up. I figure I should swap the port and the battery? I’ll also be redoing the thermal paste since it’s a bit crusty.

Sounds like a good idea :slight_smile:

So I had taken apart the switch to test the battery, and put it back together until my materials arrived. I finally received my charge meter in the mail with my other replacement parts (charge port still on the way). So i plugged it all in to see what it would read, and for the first time my switch turned back on, while reading proper charge levels of 5+ volts. I don’t know why it’s working all of the sudden, but I’m letting it get a full healthy charge. It’s still the original battery, but I have a new one… See this image for a zoomed view of the charge port pins: https://imgur.com/WC6gXdP They seem a little bent up to me, perhaps I just got lucky with the pins lining up. Are these pins bad enough to replace? I’m thinking it’d be safe to go ahead with the replacement.