One beep shutdown. My first re-paste. What did I screw up?

So, I’m new here and I posted this to an existing question but thought I’d post as it’s own as well.

I finally got my PS3 slim back after letting my dad use it for a couple of years. It was working fine when I got it back but was very dirty. They smoke in the house and have dogs so it needed a through cleaning, and since it was manufactured in 09, I thought it would be a good idea to re-paste. I have never attempted a re-paste before but I did my homework and it seemed pretty straight forward.
No issues with disassembly, the paste wasn’t completely dry but the board was a little stuck.
I didn’t force it but it did take some time to get it separated from the heat sink.
I re-pasted and reassembled.
Now when plugged in the red standby light come on as normal but when u press to turn on it beeps once then immediately shutdown and goes back to standby within a second or so.
Strangely enough I took the top off last night and went looking for a problem and was able to get it fired up. I signed in to PSN and ran an update and was able to get in a game.
Then I put it back together and it went back to one beep and shutdown.
No matter what I try now it’s just one beep and off.
Anyone know where to start looking?

1 Like

Ah you need the washer fix rlod means reballing mate and i’ve heard it’s a right pain won’t touch them myself

IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. I went to go reapply thermal paste, which ive done on tons of consoles before, but for some reason this one takes the cake. If you have any updates please let me know and vice versa

I’m having the same exact issue as well. I opened my PS3 (CECH-4001B) to replace thermal paste and the CR2032 battery. I had previously replaced the thermal paste on this same PS3 a few years prior without issues. At first I thought there was some old thermal paste (I used to use Artic Silver) making a short somewhere on the motherboard, but after inspection and cleaning, there has been no change.

I did attempt to change the power supply with a known working power supply and unfortunately no change in my case.

As much as it sucks, I think this may be a reminder that ultimately these consoles are legacy systems and old, and while working fine at the time of opening, must have had a pre-existing failure such that opening them up for cleaning just tipped it over the edge. I was careful, but it must not have liked something I did. It could have been just the act of moving it.

If anyone has had any luck in repairing this issue, please let us know!

Simply dont put the top shell back on or screw it in, mine works perfectly fine now

Did you guys DE-LID the PSX chip and repaste?