PS4 Slim Disc Feeder Issue * its not the fuse*

Hello all, just an update for anyone who followed this thread. I finally managed to fix the slim in the end by swapping the renesas chip the console will now do the update and I can use it as a digital console. Unless I find out a way to reprogram the chip. It’s better than nothing, so if you have a slim with dead drive and checked all the fuses it’s more than likely a dead renesas chip.

2 Likes

As i know one of the issues of having a unmarried disc drive ic (resesas, mediatek, etc.) console won’t let you update, so you are saying that by swaping this chip you have updated your console? i would think that swaping that chip probably you’ll be able to play games until update comes… could you explain what your console is capable of with that chip repacled, it’s very interesting…

Wow, nice work. So it probably was faulty firmware. Thank you for coming back and updating this post.

Another update. 7.51 will not update the console now different error ce35888-2 . So I may put the old chip back on and see what happens. Oh well managed to play fortnite on it for a couple of months until the new update today which forces you to update system firmware too.

I might be having a similar issue and I am kind of lost rn.

Its a PS4 Pro that had a faulty f6202 fuse which was properly replaced. After I did, the drive started accepting disk, however it was not reading them.

Took the drive apart and plugged it externally from the console so that I can see what it’s doing, and viola… The laser (worm gear motor) is not moving. While it’s trying to read the disk and I am moving it by hand I might feel slight resistance, but only fro 0.1 sec.

On top of that, I get the typical su42118-6 error when I try to update the console.

Could it be just a dead worm gear motor, or could it be something more? Any tips? My guess is that it’s not the motor since it would not cause the su42118-6 error.

EDIT: The drive does not spin as well. Tries to spin the disk, moves it for 90ish degrees and stops. There is nothing mechanically restraining the disk from rotating.

Hey there! I have PS4 1216B model with SAC-001 revision board.

My drive also tries to spin up, but only makes slight turn a few degrees. I replaced the laser with the disc motor to see whether it would make any difference, but all still the same, even though I have no problems with updating the system.

Does it mean my Renesas chip is fine and the fuse might be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

I tried to switch the ends of all three flex cables and it actually made my disk motor work. It seems that drive motor flex cable is bad and some other is bad, since I get “Unrecognized Disk” with my old drive and the new one. So, now that I know that the motor spins up, disc feed works and the laser tries to read the disk - I suspect flex cables. Ordered the new ones - will see the result when they come😅

Same here ive take the ps4 from a friend who want to throw it in garbage it stay in safety mode and the only option is the 7th i tried to put update and reset to factory even older version and it result in SU-42118-06 all the time ive check the main fuse as it showned nothing work it blink blue at start after go in safety mode ive try to unplug all ribbon to disk drive nothing work im not at the part of switch renesas chip cuz im little too noob in this kind of trouble shoot so im still learning and reading about this and ive fall in this forum i hope i will find the problem (Btw sorry for my bad english im french from canada)

The mother board is SAF-004 version

Why didn’t you replace with new fuses? You should never bridge with solder, great way to stuff the board

My f6202 had gone so briged it for testing and would let me update and except discs. But laser seem too read mid game and it somtimes dowsnt let me eject from menu. Restart and its fine. Is it due too bridge or somthing else.? Brought 2nd hand so not sure. Thanks

So i have a similar issue. I’ve bought this PS4 Slim with a drive that doesn’t accept discs without knowing this can cause issues with updates.

Now i tried updating but was welcomed to the usual su42118-6 error. Further investigation revelealed that one of the F6202 fuses was blown and one switch on the drive loading motor (KLD004 in my case) was broken off.

Is it safe to assume a new fuse and motor board will fix my issue or is there a high chance that i have a faulty renesas chip as well?