PS5 - No power, beeps once

PS5 - No power, beeps once

Fresh in on the repair bench is a PS5 come with a no power issue. The console beeps once when you press the power button. Press the button again, nothing happens.

Testing so far:

I have 12V on the power supply prongs, along with 5V and 3.3V in a few places.

on the non-cpu side, I have found what I think are shorted caps. There is a vertical line of SMD caps that appear to be shorted to gnd, along with the two biggest sizes of caps in the area “underneath” the CPU. I think all the caps are connected, so which is shorted, who knows?

Questions:

photo: 20220329_191959.jpg

1. The SMD caps between the inductors are not supposed to be shorted to gnd, correct?

photo:

1. The highlighted caps are not supposed to be shorted to gnd, correct?

2. What voltages should be present when the PS5 is off?

3. Where do I check for the voltages?

The caps at the SoC power lines have so low resistance that they allways seems to be short. I desoldered some caps at this lines and the capacity was very low. If the PS5 is switched on, you should get a voltage reading before it shuts down again.

If I got it right, the start button alternates between power off and standby.

Hi, I encountered the same problem. At first the power supply was dead, so I changed it. After that the console made a beep as soon as we pressed but nothing. I changed mn864739 and the console works again. We conclude that if the HDMI encoder is HS the console does not start.