Ps5 slim EDM-040 beeps with light not powering on

Hi,

I am working on a PS5 Slim motherboard (EDM-040). When I try to turn it on, it beeps once, the power light turns on, and then it shuts off after 4–5 seconds.

I took some measurements, and all the fuses are OK. The PSU is supplying 12 V, but all the capacitors behind the APU are shorted to ground. Does this mean the APU is dead, or could it be a faulty Southbridge?

I also thought about connecting to the UART, but I’m not sure if it would be helpful.

Any guidance or tips would be greatly appreciated. It’s my first time working on a PS5, although I have some basic electronics knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

UART code definitely helps diagnose since you have beeps and light up for few seconds meaning all standby voltage, southbridge and 12v psu works properly.

It more likely pointing to CPU/RAM voltage related or something enables after power button press

Sorry for the late response. I got this C0020002 error code after the known 80810001: General Power Sequence Failure.

What can I do from here? I couldn’t find anything online about this error code.

Does this mean the APU is dead? I also didn’t find any signs of liquid metal spilling.

@jkyoho hey do you have a lead?

You need to post the full error code log like this

image

Probably CPU issue. clean off the liqud metal and check if CPU die has any crack or broken conor.

Seems fine to me what can i do before I escalate to reballing

@jkyoho any idea pls :upside_down_face:

Do you have a thermal camera? Try to see if there is a hotspot at the corners of the Apu when it starts up.