Recommended Beginner Microscope for Electronics Repair

I’m looking for a cheap microscope, any recommendations? i just want one that makes the job…

Hi! This is the microscope that I started with and I recommend it if you’re looking for something that’s not too expensive but still gets the job done. https://amzn.to/34UmtFi (Affiliate Link)

3 Likes

Thanks… i’ll buy that one…

2 Likes

Thats the same as I use now. Really do want one with cam as would prefer it but that scope is great for the money :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s what I started with and it worked well. It’ll get you through a lot of repairs until you have the money to upgrade.

lets find out how to install an HD cam on it…!!

If you’re looking for a microscope that can handle a cam you’d need to upgrade to a better scope

1 Like

My first microscope, Amscope SM-4NTP. Got it on Amazon when it was $444 a month ago. The nice thing about this scope is the Simul-Focal Stereo Lockable Zoom. Saving up for the $500 camera.

That’s a good microscope

I have been using the “plugable microscope” from Amazon ($50) and it is fantastic. I have a workstation where my computer is, so I make use of my monitor. Here is a picture of my setup.

Only downside is I have to manually fix the zoom when I move it. For a beginner, hell of deal.

Hmmm, I cant upload images it seems… Long story short. The quality is certainly enough to check my SMD rework after I am done. I use it for inspecting for problems before and after I do my work.

1 Like

Is there enough working distance to solder under it?

htt ps ://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BZ9BLLF/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A14109FKZH9GY9

I am thinking about getting this one.

for that price you can buy a microscope camera and use it with some kind of boom arm, you will be plenty of roam under it…

2 Likes

My personal recommendation is that you guys save some money and buy the real deal! A microscope for about 400-500 dollars and I can promise that you will NEVER regret it.

but if you want to start easy follow La_Hache_Es_Muda word and buy a microscope camera and use it together with a boom arm.

That was how I started in this business and when I got my first microscope I realized that I should have bought a microscope as soon as I started with micro-soldering.

1 Like

What is the name of the Model of camera? I am thinking about getting one and wanted to see it.

I would say start by thinking about your budget, and how committed you are in doing repairs long term.

I’ve got a cheap £60 one
1000X LCD Digital Microscope, Bysameyee Wifi Wireless: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
But that’s because i’m not 100% committing to doing regular work.

But if you are then yes spend a bit more and get something better, also something with good clearance under it for larger boards.

Like @La_Hache_Es_Muda said a microsoft and a boom arm could be some middle ground. This is what i should of done :slight_smile:

I do plan on doing this long term. I already set up a business entity and what not. I don’t have much in the way of repair tools and supplies. I plan on spending $1,000 to $1,500 on equipment and supplies to repair. I would prefer to keep it to $1,000, however if it means getting started off right I am willing to spend $1,500. I plan to start out repairing Xbox ones And up as well as all PS4’s, and the PS5 along with their controllers and then selling them. I after getting enough experience I plan on moving to switches and their consoles, as well having people bring me broken consoles to repair for them. I know I am getting a little of topic of the post but I wanted to provide background so I could be recommended the the best for my situation.

Can’t give you a full list of what you need as i’ve only got a ksger T12 and Hot air station with some tips. A cheap microscope, and screwdriver set, solder, solder wik, pliers etc.

But i know long run you’ll most probably need bench power supplies and other stuff.
Have a look on youtube at some repairers, like tronixfix, TheCod3r, Jason’s Electronics Repair. They sometimes have bench tours so you can see everything they use :smiley:

Thank you for your quick reply! Would you be able to send me a link to tronicsfix video of bench tour. I am having a little trouble finding it.

Just like to chip in and say, there are areas where you can skimp and areas where you can’t… or should i say, if you do, you will regret it later.

Also a lot of this also depends on what type of repairs your looking to perform, for example, some repair techs don’t do component level repairs, some techs don’t do IC reballing.

So depending on the type of tech your are the equipment differs. I think the one area where i wouldn’t skimp would be the microscope, as i often see people buying digital micrososcopes and struggling or buying the cheapest optical microscope with non standard barlow/objective lens then realising they have limited upgrade abilities later down the road.

I’ll also add, buying and selling consoles is a real tough one as it’s incredibly competetive, and if your finding the consoles to be repaired online, theyr’e typically overpriced and have been worked on prior, sometimes by regular joes and sometimes by repair techs… sometimes multiple. Offering repairs for others is the way to go to make it viable, buying and selling should be kept as a side highlight at best.

Also want to caution about the over reliance on following others on youtube, it’s important to remain skeptical when watching others and remember just because somebidy is telling you to do it a certain way, doesn’t make it correct or even safe, far to often do i see this, not going to name names but i hope you see my point.

Anyway, hope my ramblings help in some way :slight_smile: