Slow micro sd card speeds

Hello,

Does anyone know what can cause slower micro sd card speeds?
Slower as in 22 Mib/s vs the expected 80+ Mib/s in the sd benchmark in hekate

Sequential 16Mib rate = 22.83 Mib/s
Sequential 4Kib rate = 9.26 Mib/s
Random 4Kib rate = 5.93 Mib/s

So far i’ve tried 3 different sd card readers, each one works fine in my other switch
I’ve also tried multiple micro sd cards and they have their expected speed in the other switch
Lastly even though the connector on the board looked fine and all the pins tested fine I went ahead and replaced it with a brand new connector and it did not solve the issue.

Thanks

Are there problems with the datalines, so the sd card comm is only using less than four datalines?

As far as i can tell there are no issues with the 4 data lines, each one has about 2m resistance to ground and has continuity from the pad to the top of the pin on the connector

This is a v2 board with a rp2040 installed, I wonder if it could be one of the solder points on the flex cable because I am sure when I first grabbed a nand backup it was done in 13 minutes and the emunand was made in half the time vs how long it took yesterday (33 minutes) when I wiped the sd card thinking that was the issue

Went over the two points and they appear fine on the mod chip flex cable

Is it normal for the SNS line to ground when a micro sd card is inserted into the reader?

Also in the sd card hekate page, I see the following regardless of the card reader I use
SDMMC1 Errors:
Init fails: 1 (0)
Read/Write fails: 0 (0)
Read/Write errors: 0 (0)

Have you tried other SD cards to see if they produce the same behavior, does the card read slow in other switches.

Yes I’ve tried different sd cards, they run at full speed in my other test switch
I’ve also tried 3 sd card readers that all read at full speed in the other switch

The data line traces go straight to the apu so I don’t know what else to check, I don’t have another had-cpu-01 board to compare resistance readings

Would a poor clk signal from the apu cause this? I don’t have an oscilloscope to test it

honestly not too sure on the clock signal relating to the card reader, but there is not much to check on these things as they interface directly with the APU. Maybe double check the FPC connector and see if there are any issues with missing pins or bad connection.

I replaced the connector even though I found no issues with the original one, all the pins are solid and as far as I can tell should make contact with the readers pins, I could try to run 4 jumper wires from the connectors data lines straight to a card reader but it is small and sounds like a hassle :slight_smile:

Anyone with a HAD-CPU-01 able to let me know how much resistance to ground the sd card connectors VCC line has?
This board has upwards of 2m+ resistance (black probe on ground)
while a HAC-CPU-01 board I have has a resistance of 10k on that line

While the switch is on the line does have 3.3v in any case

SD CARD CONNECTOR VCC has 1.42M resistance to ground and 0.613 diode reading

Thanks, my resistance is a good amount higher but since the connector receives its 3.3v i doubt this rail is the issue, earlier boards have a 10k resistor to ground on this line which is why I measured 10k on my earlier boards

I bought a different brand of micro sd card and the issue has been resolved.

For some reason this switch doesn’t like silicon power sd cards, I tried multiple SP cards and they all have poor speeds
I replaced it with a patriot micro sd card and get the expected ~80 Mib/s

The SP cards run at full speed in my two other switches

Thanks for this info ive just ordered a patroit sd card to see if it helps

My v1 unpactched has the same problem tested using rcm before and again after picofly install

Swapped my card reader from a v2 and tested sandisk and samsung cards from my oled and v2 with same results

Ive checked the dat0 to dat3 pins from test points to reader and all looks good so hopefully the patroit sd card has better results

Changed sd card with same results however i dont notice any slow speeds the only issue is i have to use hekate v4.6 to read and verify the emmc as the latest version always fails to verify aroung 69% no matter what brand i use. ive ruled out any issue with the sd card reader connection

Any ideas? Could is be the emmc itself i have a spare 64gb samsung and a t48 emmc programer but dont really want to swap the 32gb if its not the issue