Switch lite cartridge reader error

I took my switch apart to change the shell. When I put it back together. I got cartridge read error. I ordered another reader thinking that was the problem but after installing it I’m still getting this error. Has anyone else experienced this and if what did you do to fix it?

1 Like

I have the same issue. I have yet to find anything on it. The only thing I noticed on my unit was that the original connector did not allow the headphone jack to function; however, on the new cartridge, the same 3.5 jack now works again. Seems that the replacement one is functioning correctly but is not reading games for whatever reason.

Follow up: I ordered a third replacement game card reader and have the same issue. The 3.5mm jack works on it but still gives the same error reading games. I have found little to no information on why this could be. I’ve inspected the board on both sides and it is in near perfect condition with no indication of water damage or bent/missing pins on the ribbon connector. I was starting to wonder if maybe each game card reader is serialized for that specific console; however, I don’t see anything that would support that. Would the fact that the 3.5mm jack works fine be an indicator that the card reader is also in working order?

Out of interest, did you two connect the GC ribbon while the battery/power was still plugged in?

afaik the ST IC responsible for touch etc is present on the mainboard on lites (as opposed to being on the GC PCB on regular switches) perhaps this IC is damaged (?) might be worthwhile comparing the readings on this IC and comparing to a known good.

Might also be worthwhile comparing diode mode or resistance readings on the connector and also comparing to a known good.

afaik the ST IC in question has update fuses which are burnt (much like the SoC), this is why on a regular switch, sometimes you’ll find the GC doesn’t work, and sometimes touch won’t work which i think is down to digitizer version differences.

The first 2 replacements were installed power off and the battery disconnected. I got a bit impatient on the third and swapped it with the device powered off but the battery still connected. Also, the GC reader was definitely replaced in an attempt to fix it before it was sold to me. I am unsure as to how they did their install.

Did anyone every figure out any solution? I am having the exact same issue.

I have this exact issue and replaced the touch ic from a regular switch daughterboard and the touch works fine but still no response at all when cartridge inserted. to confirm, the touch ic does have something to do with the cartridge?

I will see if I can find another donor with STM FT9CJ IC and see if that helps and update everyone here.

thank you for investigating this. I have this issue with the card slot as well on one switch lite. The initial problem was a destroyed usb charge port replacement. The port had been replaced. It does charge and turn on now. Card reader was also replaced with new from Amazon, but card slot still does not work. I do not know if it worked prior to charge port replacement.

My 50 cents on this, i recently got a Switch lite with similar issue. The connector on the board was looking mint, i pressed down the latch and maintaining the pressure inserting a cartridge, and it worked. I ended up in redoing all the solder, works flawlessly now.

1 Like

After your suggestion, I found that the latch for the ribbon connector was slightly out of the socket when closed. Hard to explain but it’s like it was out of the hinge ever so slightly. While closed I pushed the latch backwards toward the hinge. Cards read properly now!!!

Thank you for getting me motivated again to look at this.

1 Like

Awesome, you are welcome

I’ve just come across this problem and your solution worked for me.

when I looked under the scope you can see the Latch wants to be 0.5 mm closer to the connector.

I removed some thermal paste from around the connector, so I imagine I knocked it out of alignment.

I’m happy, because the lite in question is the dark grey Pokémon one.

water damaged, had a new usb c port. m92, reflow on fuel gauge. (I even traced repaired the daughter board cable for sh@ts and giggles) but Ill use that in my test rig.

and I came to assembly, and the reader didn’t work.
so I was bummed

thanks.