Switch lite, No buttons work, screen and touch ok - a fix

Hi,

Thought I’d share my fix for a Nintendo Switch Lite that has a good screen and touch but the only buttons that works is the home button. the analogue sticks don’t work as well.

There is an IC with 48 legs on the back of the board called STM32 F038C6T6 991MX0798 MYS99 927

I used a spare from a donor board and this restored all the buttons and thumbsticks.

Hopefully this is useful to someone.

4 Likes

I have this exact issue. Do you know if a replacement STM32 must come from a donor board or can it be purchased new? I didn’t know if some Switch programming was done to them is why I’m asking.

I used a donor board so can’t say if a new one would work

Thanks. I’ll likely get a used one from eBay and report back in a week with the results.

If possible, could you get me the voltages all around STM32F038C6T6? Nothing changed after I replaced the IC with one ordered from eBay.(it appeared to be parted from a donor board)

Other work done on the board:
-Replaced FPC connector for left board(above battery connector)
-reflowed wifi chip and SOC due to Wifi not working. Fixed that issue.

I’m getting the following voltages on the IC:
Pins:
1 - 1.79v
2-4 - 0v
5 - .89v
6 - 0v
7 - 1.78v
8 - 0v
9 - 2.79v
10-19 - 0v
20 - 2.79v
21 - 1.79v
22 - 0v
23 - gnd
24 - 1.79v
25 - 1.80v
26-27 - 0v
28 - 1.79v
29 - 0v
30 - 1.79v
31 -1.80v
32-33 - 0v
34 - 1.79v
35-36 - 1.73v
37-45 - 0v
46 - 2.78v
47 - gnd
48 -1.79v

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Update:

Buttons are working now!!!

Resolution:
I reflowed the SOC again.

Apparently I caused a bridge or separated joint when I originally reflowed it due to Wifi issues.

Other notes:

The 2.79v on pin 46 of the STM32 IC was a red flag. This should be closer to 0v when functioning properly. (Caused by a failed SOC reflow)Update:

Buttons are working now!!!

Resolution:
I reflowed the SOC again.

Apparently I caused a bridge or separated joint when I originally reflowed it due to Wifi issues.

Other notes:

The 2.79v on pin 46 of the STM32 IC was a red flag. This should be closer to 0v when functioning properly. (Caused by a failed SOC reflow)

2 Likes

ill reply to this in the hope it helps someone else as i have a few with the same issues.

i replaced the smt32 chip on one and that works now.

i replaced the stm32 chip on another one that didnt work, reflowed soc, that didnt work, reballed soc that didnt work, (external joycons worked)
flipped the board over, and under the soc there a cluster of caps/resisitors.
the biggest cap was missing at the bottom, and the tiny resisitor at the very bottom was missing.
( the tiny resistor restored the buttons)

i have another which was a blue screen, reflowed now its a no button.
hoping a reball fixes this. (might change smt32very as its easier.

thats for the information btw

1 Like