Switch no fan/joycon charge when docked or connected to a 15v charger

It ended up being an issue with damaged pads under the CPU. As it turns out, 15V → 5V conversion is done by the chip marked DC0 and VSYS → 5V by MAX8969. Due to a lack of proper connection with the SOC, the EN signal for DC0 IC wasn’t present which was the cause of my problems with this switch.

In the picture below I marked good readings for this area along with my findings about this circuit. Check whether you have an EN signal for DC0 (should be 1.8V when present). You can also check the EN point in diode mode and if you have a connection issue like I did it will measure around 0.7V.

One important thing is that 5V output will come up only when the switch is fully booted up and you connect up a joycon or the fan is spinning - which makes it hard to measure this area for voltages.

Thank you very much for your answer!

So in conclusion the problem is not resolved, or it is difficult to be resolved, as it has to do with CPU connections?

I did measure the EN pad as per your instructions, 0.58V in diode mode, switch booted from battery and 15v charger no EN signal. Though didn’t have 1.8v even with 5V charger, though i didn’t have any peripherals connected.

Thank you again for your response.

Do you have maybe diode mode readings of this DC0 chip?

I’ve noticed burn marks under the microscope in the pad of the second pin.

I would be thankful if you can provide.

Thanks,

The best way to measure voltages in this area is to hook up a joycon rail with a joycon that wants to charge - this way you will be sure that either DC0 or MAX8969 should be outputting something.

I did manage to resolve the issue on my board but due to other issues related to BGA rework this board ended up as a donor for now.

Here are the diode readings of the DC0 chip. If you have a burn mark near the chip I would remove it from the board and check the pads for damage.

DC0diode

You are the best! Thank you for your time!

Yes I did remove it and cleaned the pad, the trace was intact.

FYI the DC0 chip must be TPS54560 if someone is interested.

Regards!

I’m happy I could help :slight_smile:

Are you sure it’s TPS54560? Pinout doesn’t seem to match and the package is different.

No, I’m not totally sure, I sourced the info from the internet from someone that claimed he replaced it with this specific chip.

Apologies for bringing up a old post.

I have the same issue where when docked or connected to a 15 adapter the fan stops and joycons stop charging.

You said you had resolved this issue on your board but other issues were present.

Can you please share have you resolved it

Thanks