Volume buttons not working but going into recovery mode is possible

tbh, “I don’t know”. I think it’s a software issue. I’ve seen it behave as normal, and I’ve seen the issue come back. I cannot figure out any rhyme or reason to the problem. =/

AH I see, its really frustrating. I got my console second hand and its just been like that I dont know how to fix it. It has been like that for about 4 days as I got it 4 days ago. I really hope it fixes soon as its the reason I dont really like using it much… it doesn’t remove anything from me I just like having that feeling of all my buttons working.

Argh, I have had this before! I think I fixed it, but I don’t remember how! I dobt remember ever swapping out the button ribbon so I doubt it was that.
I would try with the gamecard board and fan disconnected… in fact maybe with the side rails disconnected also, and see if that makes a difference.

I don’t think it’s hardware related, fwiw. I think it’s either a bug with certain games, or related to having the switch docked/asleep for long periods vs not.

The button works. It just ramps up the volume all the way, meaning the switch’s OS/firmware is just doing the wrong thing for that button press. =/

Would definitely update to latest switch firmware and see if that helps. You didn’t mention if this was a Switch or Switch Lite. I’ve only ever seen this on my full switch, and usually only after pulling it out of the dock. it seems to behave better after it’s been undocked for a while. =/

It was definitely a hardware issue for me, I have never has a switch to fix that was software related.
From what I remember, the issue for me wasn’t that a button didn’t work but that the other one thought it was always held due to short somewhere. But in hetake (non gui) it worked fine for moving between options still. The problem is that I cant remember what switch it was (as it wasn’t the primary fault), but I think it was resolved by swapping out one of the parts I mentioned above. Certainly it can’t hurt to try with less things connected.