Xbox OG with wierd power on issue

My xbox Orriginal has this wierd problem, if I click the power button, it turns on for 2 seconds, then turns off. But here’s where things get interesting…when I turn on my xbox orriginal again right after, it stays on for like 2 and a half seconds, and if I turn it on again right after, it stays on and boots up normally and nothing wierd happens. Also, if I turn off the console after letting it run for a minute or two, it turns back on instantly… it seems to be a really wierd problem. Also, I think I may have accidentally caused the problem, because the disk tray door was sticky and wouldn’t open, and I kept on pressing the open tray door button quickly so that it would help me pry it open, anyway, at one point, I mistakenly clicked the tray door 3 times really fast, and the xbox froze. I turned it off, and tried to turn it back on, and it didn’t work at all. So I took it appart, fixed the disk tray, and then tried it, and it did the thing I was talking about…turn on, turns off, turn on, stays on longer then turns off, turn on and stays on. It is a really wierd problem, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could tell me what is wrong with my poor xbox orriginal…its not like it doesn’t work entirely, but I am worried that the more I turn it on that way, the more I am gonna ruin it. Thank you for reading this, and don’t be shy if you have the solution.

Check your motherboard and power supply for bulged or leaking capacitors.

I found a few last time, why?

What do I do? Do I replace them? Do you think that could be the problem?

Could replacing them fix the problem?

Yes, if they are faulty then they can cause power issues, freezing and such. Change them out. Also, for you disc drive issue sticking. There is an elastic in the drive, change it. Likely have to order a “drive belt”. I have had ghetto success using actual elastics from bags but they need to be right size and good quality.

I will try my best to replace them, thank you very much :slight_smile:

how did you make out?

It will take me some time to buy the capasitors, I will need an amazon card or PayPal card or something…

Also, I checked the capasitors for voltage, and they all said a certain voltage, like the capasitors that said 6.3 volts that worked when the power suply was plugged it would show 5.3 volts, and these capasitors were all bulging and one leaked at one point. When the power supply is cut, the capasitors lose all voltage in a matter of seconds.

This xbox orriginal is a version 1.6 and the capasitors that are bulging are close to where the power suply plugs into the circuit board.

Hi Andy,
I don’t know if you fixed this or not, but my source for Capacitors, & other components is Digikey just do a internet search you’ll be amazed at all the components you’ll find there, imo. Also check Caps on the Power Supply.
Regards,
eaglemaniac642

Yes, it was indeed the capasitors, I bought 5 3300mf 6.3v for the version 1.6 xbox, it took a while, had to figure a few things out before shipping it, but yes, it works now, thank you so much for telling me this was probably the problem, it totaly was. Those bulging capasitors needed to be replaced! Now I can continue playing NFS Most Wanted on my old save. I hope this helps people who may have the same problem. I have some pics too

The black capasitor is one of the old ones, and the green is the new one. There is a bulging top on the old one, a sign it was the power issue.

Uploading: IMG_20210726_160323.jpg…
This is where I found these capasitors and replaced them. All 5 of those green capasitors were replaced, because all 5 of my capasitors were bulging. I got the replacements on Amazon, and I got 10 for like 15$😂 so I have more replacements if I have other original Xbox’s version 1.6 with the same issue.

Well that didn’t work, okay, here’s the image for the text above😅