A funny Switch blow up 3x M92T36

8 out of 10 switches with this error code I couldn’t fix by replacing m92t(and usb port which I always replace). The caps west and north of m92t would either short when plugging in charger, or after boot. on one or two switches I could prevent this by not using original charger.

you have this is for left joycon

Resurrecting this thread as I’ve got a couple of boards which appear to be repeatedly killing M92 chips. In both cases I’ve replaced the USB-C and M92 chips and everything checks out fine for a couple of days and then bam, 2101-0001 error on boot. The last time it happened, it trashed my dock too. :angry:

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of what was causing the damage? I know this thread wandered a bit in topic…

Cheers,
Sheriff

I would probably measure your resistance to ground on 1V8PDR and 3V3PDR and ensure they compare well to a known good.

I’d swap out the fets surrounding the M92 IC as they could potentially cause this failue if one were bad or intermittent.

The other possibility (and I don’t know if you do this) but I’ve noticed a lot of people installing this IC and others squeezing down the IC/s during reflow, this is quite bad practice and can lead to solder “whiskers” below the IC from the ground pad to the other IO, typically it won’t cause a dead short to whichever pin/pad but a low resistance which is unnoticeable and over time could cause the IC to fail. Provided the pads are properly primed there is no need for this squeeze down “technique” and follwing reflow a quick run around with a JL02 tip or similar while the board is still hot will make the joints look extra pretty :slight_smile:

outside of that what is the specific failure mode of the IC, is there a certain line failing short to ground like CC or otherwise?

1 Like

We’re you able to figure it out?

We’re you able to figure it out? I’m having the same issue.

No. Unfortunately not. I’ve replaced M92, P13USB, mosfets around M92. Out of ideas. I haven’t even worked out how to repair the 5 damaged docks… :frowning:

I have two switches in my “i’ll fix them when I figure this out” bin and the customers have been patiently waiting. I have finally received my third switch with the same issue and I really want to figure this out.
My soldering technique is most likely not the issue as I have repaired many switches in the past. Here are some of the things I’ve noticed.
My charger will display 15v when first plugged in. Then I can unplug it and plug it back in and it will only show 5v. The m92 shorts out and I can get 15v again if I swap out m92.
I was able to get 15v on the charger multiple times if I plugged it in while the BQ chip was not present.
For some reason probing around the regulator above the m92 also killed m92. I wasnt accidentally shorting something out. I was just trying to measure a voltage and my ammeter would immediately shut off when I tried measuring the voltage.
I haven’t gotten much further than that but I will sacrifice a couple more m92 to probe around and test a couple other things to try to find a solution.

If I’m not mistaking someine figured out by replacing the APU that the Apu was causing this issue

When I get a problem on the second m92 ic I short change the video and the charging center

Hello! Sorry for reviving this post.

I have the same issue with a v1 Nintendo switch and I don’t want to kill more M9 chips.

Any idea what’s happening with this switches?