Knockoff Hot air station?

Thanks that’s really kind of you.

Same on my side, it is a bit too soft, probably no spring inside that thing. But the way the station is placed with my desk and the place i work the board doesn’t seem to make that so far.

That one i haven’t got as well either :frowning:
It really makes me sad in a way that we were worried about me taking it from Banggood and in the end you are the one having the crappy device. Usually i promise, i run into those shit-hole.

I was kind of hoping there would be dedicated moulding inside the hose to house the power wires etc but that doesn’t seem to be the case and they’re just floating about, would imagine that slight amount more mass would have reduced or eliminated hose kinking, maybe someone with another station can chime in and let use know if your one is the same… but I kind of feel like this is negating a lot of the supposed benefits that this style of station has over the downtrodden fan in handle style if there is some chunky wires floating about inside the air hose restricting or changing the airflow at will :smiley:

This is completely unscientific but just doing the hand feel test with both my fan in handle station and this BST and I notice zero difference in airspeed at max, sure the fan in handle is going to have to be moving twice as fast to move the same amount of air compared to the BST as the fan dimaeter is only half that compared to the one inside the BST but tbh I don’t notice any difference in terms of noise level… if anything the BST is louder… I suppose the real test will come when testing on an actual board and comparing between the two (just gotta make room on my bench) , gotta say though I’ll be really dissapointed if it doesn’t signnificantly out perform the fan in handle style :smiley:

No no, these aren’t huge deals, this is typical Aliexpress seller behaviour, I probably should have ordered from a better reviewed store, plus the issues aren’t all that serious just a bit of a let down… I would have been more critical if the higher price quick turned up in like this :slight_smile:

I hope it will :slight_smile: at least i find the handle very handy, and i received my 45° nozzles from Amazon (super cheap, 13€ for 5 of them in Prime delivery), never had so much ease replacing a P13.

Sure, but still, sold new should come new.

Cool, you’ll have to let us know if there is much of a downside to using the angled nozzles, my guess is there is going to be some effieiency loss here though with the benefit of easier handling, I’ve always used the straight nozzles without issue but can see how angled would be more ergonomic

agreed

Can I ask a fav, can you take a photo of the back of your best station, I noticed in a few of the unboxing vids there is stickers (maybe waranty seals) over the pressed steel enclosure, mine has no such stickers… which maybe be normal but if not it indicates it’s been opened before… possibly refurbished :roll_eyes:

I would be an ass really if i would refuse such an easy one after all help you provided me, really.
No stickers on mine as well. However, i can tell you for sure it was new, sticker on the screen, no fingerprint in any place, all looked mint and even the smell, fresh unboxing if you see what i mean :slight_smile:

The only one i found really is that the one i bought : Amazon.fr
are a bit too long. My plan is to buy another set (they are so cheap) and cut them by 1.5cm or so. If needed i would still have the original length in house. A part from this, i am really having the impression that it makes a big difference, because the heat goes straight to the board and does a better job overall. Also, i am less inclined to burn my fingers like that :slight_smile:

Thanks bud

Hmm no sticker / protective film over the display on mine when I got it out the box :thinking:

Ah the stickers look the same as mine, I think in the videos they’re just placed crooked making them look like warranty stickers, most of the vids have the “BST” hologram sticker also which mine is missing.

The steel section with the green paint is covered in scratches… can only guess it’s been around the block a few times :open_mouth:

Haha :crossed_fingers: they work well

Damn it didn’t last long :grin:

Damn, spoke to soon it seems :frowning: always the way

I guess it’s not getting hot at all? I suppose if it’s not unscrew the handle and check the element isn’t broken by checking it’s resistance, also think there is a thermal fuse in there too.

I should leave mine running for a bit and see if it winds up dying too after a period… may as well find out now.

Something about it missing that hologrpahic sticker on the back is erking me making me wonder if the ones without are refurbs / off the books …or something

I didn’t had time to check yet, i restarted my Aoyue and started a claim with Banggood, it isn’t heating indeed. Funny they offered me full refund of the product and that i send it back to China :slight_smile: I said no thanks, full refund and i have to pay a large amount of money to send it back in China such as 30-40€ and in the end not getting a device isn’t an option at all. In case they try to screw up with me i will go through the Paypal road.

This problem seems to have occurred just after you took those phtotos for me earlier, I’m hoping somethings just popped out or something :crossed_fingers:

Yeah completely agree, not worth it if you have to pay to send it back, yeah if they don’t refund just start a claim with paypal or just have your bank reverse the transaction

In the case of my one I opened a dispute on Aliexpress and managed to get a full refund (makes a change) seems Aliexpress gave the refund and not the seller

I’ve been playing around with this station and have noticed a few other things worth mentioning,

There is some really odd behaviour in regards to heater regulation and fan regulation, at first I though it was perhaps an interference issue but that’s not it, basically when the element is switched on fan regulation stops or is delayed and then when the element is off fan regulation is resumed, you can basically hear this quite clearly if you set the temperature to 300C and airflow to 40% and it almost sounds lik the fan is pulsing as a result, I have checked and the Quick machines also do this…the pulsing will change based on set temp/airflow and if either are at 100% the pulsing is gone or less noticeable… think this is down to poor coding / MCU operation and I would consider a bug…

Anyway just reverse engineering the front panel PCB to figure out what the unmarked MCU is and will see if I can fix their mistakes :roll_eyes: they should be paying me :wink:

So trying to identify the unarked MCU on this station has turned out to be more difficult than I thought, I’ve looked at lot of potential candidates across near enough every brand but nothing fits it’s pinout and no chips has both VIN/VCC and GND at these same locations

Rough sketch here

ST would be the closest though I would imagine they would opt for a Chinese clone or brand, and even though the pinout wouldn’t match Holtek seems the most likely but I’m probably wrong…this one may have beaten me, I highly doubt they’ve spun there own MCU or using a custom, I get the feeling they’ve been a bit naughty and are running VIN/VCC to some other I/O (one marrked “likely VCC” in my drawing) which is inherently pulled up to the same logic level internally to power VIN/VCC to throw people off… that’s my best guess anyway

This is too advanced for me. I made assembler back at school for micro IC of that time, but since then i never touched that area anymore. From my side, i found that post that has similar problem as me : Repair BST-863 - Page 1
I am still trying to get something from Banggood, they know replied : “Supplier reply: This power on the handle to the shelf, then power on; need to put the handle on top of the shelf before turning on the machine” :rofl: and i replied :

I am sorry to say, but the supplier doesn’t know his product correctly. If the problem was that i started the unit without the handle in the stand, the fan wouldn’t turn at all on. I made another video, please, the problem is definitely in the handle, it just doesn’t warm up. Send me another handle, problem solved. Thanks. Best BST-868 issue cold air - YouTube

video url: Best BST-868 issue cold air - YouTube

I traced it out a bit further, the board as a whole is super simple, all the MCU is doing is driving the screen, controlling the triac and sending PWM speed control signal off to the BLDC motor board, opamp for the TC, and opto isolator for the triac, it would be trivial to swap out the MCU with a “normal” MCU (ST etc) and jst lift a couple of legs and run a couple of jumpers so the pinout would match… though tbh I don’t think it’s worth it (it would be if I could identify the existing MCU) when you can get the much better specced mod board for 60 odd $ which does quite a few things better

Also btw, I double checked while the unit was open, that noise when turning off the mains is the motor, afaict it’s as a result of energy stored in the large cap on the BLDC board, as the MCU is not shutting off gracefully and as there is no discharge resistor across that large cap atleast afaict on quick glance I think as the MCU is ungracefully losing power it’s outputting junk on the PWM line, I woud guess the mod board resolves this issue.

Given that the fan turns on when out of the cradle it implies it’s not the reed switch or magnets in the cradle at fault, not much else it can be other that the element itself (or the wiring to it) or the thermal fuse (or the wiring to it)

And agree the bare minimum they can do is send a replacement gun section for you

Maybe it’s time to just open a paypal dispute or just call your bank and have them reverse it? as it doesn’t seem like your getting anywhere with the seller.

Then i think in the upcoming months, if the unit just work fine without any issue anymore, i will buy this mod-board and do it, i guess anyway that it brings much better regulation and reliability overall than the OEM equipment.

I just disassembled the handle completely, the thermal fuse is open, we have the culprit. But one question, why is it calibrated to 121°C ? The temperature is going much higher, i don’t get it ?
I bought replacement fuse from Amazon, 8€ for 10 but i got them the day after, will try to replace that today. Afaict, the handle is strictly identical to the quick one, from the pictures at least you can’t tell the difference.
And concerning the vendor, they finally understood the issue, and will send me a new heating component (complete they said, but not the complete handle). So overall, i will have a new element for free which is ok. In the end i think if i didn’t had the patience and went the Paypal road, i would have got the unit for free :slight_smile: But it is like it is.

Looks like it wasn’t the only culprit :

I guess soldering isn’t an option due do the heat ?

Yeah I think so, I ordered one the otherday, I’ll let you know when it arrives

Is that the fuse? if so would imagine that the inside of the handle (provided the fan is running) wouldn’t get anywhere near that so it should only trip in a fault condition for example if the fan died or something, I would hazard the internal handle termperature is no more than 20C above ambient.

Oh yeah, bit hard to tell what’s going on there without looking at it myself but I guess the wire has broken going to the element?

Yeah will melt instantly, a bare ferrule would work though crimped on

Great thanks

Well weird then that the original temperature is set to 121 Celsius. But yeah it was the fuse.

Correct and I fixed it, I think you should also have a look because it looks like a flaw to me. The wire from the heating element is going into this connector, and both weren’t tied to it. I just could remove the second one with a tweezer, there is no retention of any sort. So to fix it, I replaced both wire inside their connector, and using a small clamp, somehow crimped the wire inside. It isn’t pretty, but now the wire is strongly attached, I can’t pull it anymore with tweezers.

Trouble is, if say for example you whacked a 150/200C rated thermal fuse in, what would happen in the event of a fault condition is the plastic would either deform or melt before the fuse ever blew so approx 121C is the right choice afaict

Good stuff :+1:

Thanks, I’ll take a look

Wow seem pretty shoddy, so they were just lightly touching? maybe this was causing arcing as a result which is probably what caused that fuse to fail prematurely

I haven’t changed the temperature, i placed the same of course, i was just wondering why, but your explanation makes sense i see the point.

Correct, just placed in like that, no retention of any sort, just unbelievable. Now with my mod, it is really tight. Probably yes for the fuse, i agree

Man that’s so bad, hopefully this is quite rare and I hope to see when I open mine they are properly crimped or otherwise :crossed_fingers:

What did you use to crimp it/tighten it up btw, just some pliers or sidecutters or something?