Knockoff Hot air station?

Haha, not surprised :smiley:

Looking into this a little further, board components and layout on the T3A look to be virtually identical to the KSGER station, the MCU I think (just looking roughly at images) seem to be pin compatiable with the KSGER equivelent, they seem to be using a GD32 MCU instead of an STM32… would likely be trivial porting the KSGER CFW to this unit with minimal modification to the code and the only real area of code modification is going to be regarding the LCD… so maybe is the best futureproof choice, or best choice if you want a bit of a project and modify the code yourself and pretty up the menu system etc

Always :slight_smile:

Yeah looks like junk… 7-seg display, crappy and pointless soldering iron addon, no-name brand, inconsistent specifications listed… the only thing it’s got going for it is price… but hardly worth it when you don’t know the brand or how it’s going to behave

Buy a genuine Quick 861DW here: https:// www.mobileparts.shop/en/articles/tools/category:644:hot-air-rework-stations/

Not expensive and ships from the Netherlands.

Care to share the costs + postage so I don’t have to sign up? (I won’t be ordering from them for this simple reason… we’re not in the 90’s anymore)

besides, unless it’s significantly cheaper than the BST can’t think why you would opt for the Quik style imho

Hi, I created an account, but it require manual check on their side, will let you know probably tomorrow.
In the meantime I agree that unless significant difference, not sure why not to go with the Best. Let’ see

OMG it gets worse… I wouldn’t order from them even if they were 50% cheaper than elsewhere :wink: websites like this shouldn’t exist anymore… more often than not it’s because they know they’re charging well above RRP compared to elsewhere and are just trying to wear you out to purchase from them

In my case I went ahead and ordered the BST and also ordered that T3A station while I was at it, both out of curiosity :slight_smile:

The price should be purchased for about €220 shipped to Belgium. The Atten ST-862D is a good alternative and can be bought for €180 to €200.

The quick follows the kiss principle; no fancy touchscreens or other stupid features. It has buttons for temperature, air flow and and 3 channel Presets. That’s all it has and all it needs.

It can be calibrated if you read the manual. I haven’t calibrated mine and it works just fine.

I have watched Louis rossmanns’ review of the atten and it didn’t make me wish I bought that one instead. I was still happy with my purchase.

Yeah, that’s about what I expected… overpriced

Not looked into the Atten specs but the Quick is under specced on paper and in practice (from what I’ve seen) vs the BST for more money and a worse display. As I mentioned, not sure why anyone would pay more for a worse machine (?)

Have to say I agree and also prefer physical buttons over capactive but from what I’ve seen the BST style seems pretty responsive to be fair and with the x3 presets I don’t see if as a dealbreaker… plus it has the option of what looks like a fantastic mod board to add analogue controls which would dominate both in terms of functionality - which afaik the Quick doesn’t have [the option of]

I never said t couldn’t (?) and I would hope so :smiley:

I think sometimes (and I don’t mean any offence directly to you here but rather in general) people get hung up on what used to be good for the money instead of looking for what’s now better for the money, it’s the same reason people still reccommend buying overpriced and out of date Hakko stations when there are many better options

You also see that with cars in general to be fair, people buying for example Audi or BMW will tell you they are fantastic cars, 0 issue whatsoever, in fact they have problem, like all the others. Of course there are better cars than others, that’s not what i mean they are all equal, but for sure, all cars do have issues (and believe me, i have seen quite a lot of them in a bunch of car brands).

Look anyway a bit more expensive than the findings we made around on Aliexpress. Of course, as it is a European company, you could argue and guess that the so-called “warranty” should be honored better, but that’s just an hypothesis, i have seen some crazy discussion with big companies around warranties that makes me wonder how dare those companies take money from people, they just shouldn’t exist (and again, this is kind of everywhere, not only in Europe).
From my side as i repaired my old friend Aoyue, i am not in a hurry, i will order the KSGER station first, because soldering is really what drives me crazy at the moment, i need thinner tip that works and not play around with many of them that just don’t hold solder at the edge of the tip but in the middle.

Agree, I like the car analogy

Another one is oscilloscopes, you can get some fantastic old school and simple analogue CRT style scopes (I’d love one) but would I reccommend anyone buy one today as your only option for modern electronic diagnosis? (we’re talking more niche situattions here) and the answer would be a resounding no! I would get a low end budget digital as it’s almost certainly going to be more useful and outspec and outperform the old school in every way (even if the CRT looks nicer/cooler)

In the case of these hot air stations none are ideal and there are things I would change on all of them, but in terms of specifications, functionality. upgradeablility and price the BST-863 seems to be the best all rounder as far as I can tell and it’s a semi-decent “brand”. Though as I’ve mentioned all these stations are 90% the same inside the main body, identical EMI filters, identical motors/fans, identical transformers, identical (though subject to change board revs in all) brushless phase controllers, identical layout… the primary difference is the front panel PCB (and in turn MCU) and display, and variations in gun/wand type - this could be in terms of the handle having a different moulding completely, being the same with the inclusion of a switch, being the same/different with a differet wattage element installed, being the same/different with a different end “gauze” at the end… these are the primary areas which alter the specifications and apparent efficiency of the station and what to look out for when choosing. afaict, the BST might have a beefier element etc but the wand/gun looks identical with the Quick (and many others) with the parts likely being interchangeable bwetween the two in the event something goes wrong (likely on all these Chinese stations) I couldn’t say the same for getting replacement parts for the Atten though for example as it seems to use a different handle etc.

So basically, it’s pointless being loyal to any of these companies, they’re all made in China, use 90% the same parts (if not the whole machine made in the same factory) and tbh if your considering the Quick, you may as well opt for the many 1:1 clones instead as I see no benefit outside of what I mentioned above :slight_smile:

Yep, i would even say, it’s pointless in being loyal to any companies in general. Everything evolves so fast today, something true today might not be the case tomorrow. I think taking one step back and analyses what’s the best value at the moment we want to buy and for the usage we have is really the best approach overall.

Hi there,

I ordered the Best hot air station yesterday. The fact is that i got 2 Xbox One X to repair, one was fairly simple, Retimer IC to replace, job done, console working again, then i got the second one which turns on and within a second goes off with the chime sound of the poweron working.
I haven’t found any “working” diagnosis out on the web, neither in this forum besides someone saying in this thread : Xbox One X - Ding and light when power button pressed, turns off after a few seconds and also in this one : Another One X that turns off then turns off (Partial power) with pictures! that this issue might be related to either APU or soutbridge issue. I tried to at least reflow the southbridge, to give a start somewhere let’s say, and after pre-heating the back and using my Aoyue for 15min max air flow and max temperature, the SB wouldn’t move a bit. I gave up and ordered the Best :slight_smile: By the way, this Xbox One X turning on then off is not something that people talk about much on the web :disappointed_relieved:

I don’t typically don’t work on Xbox consoles so can’t help you directly here but all board repair I do fundamentally follow the same procedures and as you currently have two consoles which are the same your in the perfect position to perform these tests. First would be to check the voltages provided by the AC to DC converter (this might be 12V and maybe a 5V rail) and ensure they are being generated, if all good second step would be to check the resistance to ground on all your primary power rails - as your suspecting APU issues you’d start with those rails first - you can find them at the inductors [likely] surrounding the APU and compare with the other now known good board

Haha yeah not to surprised the Aoyue would have struggled on such a high mass board hopefully the BST can get the job done when it arrives, though I would start with the above mentioned tests before attempting reflow of any major IC

Hi Severence,

yes, i will try to look at that, only issue is that i will have to give the good console back to the customer either today or tomorrow, don’t have much time to address that today, but let’s see, if i have time to check, i will create a thread in the Xbox section of the forum anyway.
And for the Best, yes, let’s see, it will come from Czech Republic, so in theory according to the tracking, it will arrive around 11th of March, i found a good deal on Banggood, 160€ shipping included. It will arrive before my KSGER which i ordered last week already :rofl:

:crossed_fingers:

Thats a pretty good price, think you even managed to get it cheaper than me… Aliexpress incorporates tax now at checkout so think it wound up costing me about 150GBP when all was said and done

I really hope your unit will be alrght, I saw a post over on the EEVBlog forum of someone who got this station from banggood and they were sent x2 DOA units in a row… dunno if Banggood are selling customer returns of what or if they’ve resolved this now

I saw that thread as well, let’s see, i am not too concerned, there will always be more people complaining than the other way around on one hand, and on the other, transaction through paypal, so i am not worried about them not taking actions if something really happens. Let’s see how it goes and i will report anyway, in good or bad :rofl:

Hi there,

received my unit, tried to use this weekend and guess what … it is working haha :rofl: I must be honest that it is really working well compare to my Aoyue, i still need to check out for the best settings on my side for the different job i need to do, and hell, hopefully i receive my 45° nozzles quickly because straight one makes it hard for me with my microscope that is so close to the board.
However, i think first the custom board from this person in Portugal is a must, because the beep and initialization is kind of a pain, not the worst, but still. And with my unit, i don’ t know if this is normal, but i get a very strange noise when shutting it down : Best BST-863 strange noise - YouTube
Not sure which component is making this noise, i wasn’t able to locate it yet. Let me know when you receive yours if you have the same.

That’s good to hear man!

Yeah that beeping is super annoying. I’m hoping the unmarked IC on the existing front panel PCB is an atmel… in which case I’ll modify the FW myself and install two rotary encoders… if the MCU isn’t an atemel and/or I can’t figure out what it is, then I’ll be getting the mod board too :slight_smile:

Hmm bit hard to tell, maybe it’s the phase controller for the fan/motor, they can make odd noises like that

Yeah I’ll let you know, it’s in the country now but stuck in customs… so probably another week knowing them :roll_eyes:

My BST showed up earlier, packaging was terrible and was just sent in the actual product box with no ext box, comes with one of those stupid EU stlye plugs which is missing the earth pin (unsafe for obvious reasons), they didn’t even bother to include a travel adapter… why is it sometimes I have these IEC cables in abundance and other tmes can’t find one to save my life :smiley: anyway…

Machine seems nice, being able to set below 100C is nice change (can’t do that on my other station), touch/capactitve buttons are surprisingly responsive, display is bright and clear albeit simplistic, the need to press set everytime to change the temperature is annoying as well as the beeping. My unit is obviously used/secondhand which I’m really not thrilled about with solder spatter stuck on the guns rubber/silicone hose and brown scorching//residue on metal shaft of the hot air gun…The hose is nice and flexible but maybe too flexible as it’s inclined to kink at some angles which is going to affect airflow. That noise your hearing when turning off the mains power switch seems to be coming from the piezo buzzer, would imagine a high value pulldown resistor to ground on the speaker may resolve this or TVS diode maybe (depending on whats causing this) though I imagine current limiting resistor for this piezo (I’m just guessing it’s piezo) to reduce it’s volume as a whole will reduce this in gerneral, if you’ve ordered the mod board I wouldn’t worry about it.

All in all I’m happy with the unit but not too pleased about paying full whack for an obviously used item :frowning:

Well man, i am sorry about that, i am perfectly with you that unless you pay lower the price, things needs to come brand new if they are sold as such.
If i were you, i would make a full bunch of pictures and immediately open a dispute on Aliexpress, just to get part of the money back at least.
On Amazon you can buy their “Warehouse” stuff, but they are cheaper at least (most of the time).
Well, i think next month i will buy the mod, this month was an expensive one, i need to recover :rofl: But overall i am super happy with this hot air station, it changes my life so far

I couldn’t resist the urge to pick the solder spatter off the silcone hose, so maybe I’ll have to duplicate this to get my point across if I open a dispute :wink:

Yeah agree, it’s not on, especially on devices like this which are using consumables such as the element etc… who knows how long it’s been in operation before being sent to me

Haha I understand, I did the same thing, I shouldn’t have bought that T3A station really but curiosity got the better of me, btw I’ll measure the voltage for the line going to the cradle in a bit so you get a better idea of how they’re doing it which should offer confirmation on your station

Yeah seems good, though I don’t know if you seeing the hose kinking sometimes too? don’t get me wrong it’s pretty hard to get it to do it and it doesn’t happen often but it doesn’t seem to take much to cut off the air, if i lightly pinch the hose with my fingers I can pretty much cut off 90% of the supply, no idea what the loss is when it kinks on it’s own

I also noticed the handle threads weren’t all the way tightened and could feel air loss there too, tightening them up it’s pretty good but I can still feel ever so slight loss here, maybe only less than 1%, maybe I’m being pedantic :smiley: but I suppose if you wanted 100% efficiency you’d put some PTFE tape around these threads, doesn’t cost anything I suppose… just not used to it I suppose after using a fan in handle style for so long with no losses in this regard.