MAX77620A Diagnosis and replacement

Working on a unit with liquid damage in the area of MAX77620A, and some of the caps around it are shorted to ground. Wondering how to confirm whether the chip is bad, and how difficult that chip will be to replace/if a stencil will be needed… Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

I would check the caps, coils and resistors around the MAX77620A for shorts, continuity and in diode mode for big differences at the values. (no battery, no charger, red probe on ground and with the black probe at the pad/pin you like to measure)

Maybe I m wrong, but the new ics out of the blisters I bought till now, were all ready to solder. I only use stencils for reballing used ics to put them back in place.

3 Likes

Okay, thank you so much! This will save me a ton of trial and error.

Hi, you might also want to look over the following topics which might be food for thought. related

It’s actually quite rare for this MAX PMIC to actually fail electrically, In almost all instances of failure that I’ve seen for this IC they have been almost always exclusively physical damage (chips/cracks etc) or detached balls/pads.

Even in cases of liquid damage they’re quite durable and usually function normally after removing, cleaning and reballing. (only if you have experience reballing)

If you spotted liquid/corrosion around or under the IC then it might be worth giving it a flux boil first if your measurements don’t read normally on the surrounding components.

2 Likes

Great info, thank you, I’ll take some measurements tonight and see about flux boiling it. I appreciate it, will update.

Hello,
I have a shorted cap and I need values of this capacitor to replace it.
Can someone help me to find values of this capacitor ?
Thanks for helping

Maybe this could help:

1 Like

Thank’s
I need the value of the capacitor 70 in the picture is shorted with cap 376 C0603_4.7uf
I try to post a picture to indicate the cap but I can’t I have this message " you can’t embed media items in a post."

Thank’s for helping

Thats an inductor :slight_smile:

between the two inductor 70 there is a capacitor with the number 70 this is the one I need to know the value

47uF, anything =>1.2V is fine.

Though if this cap is short and with it removed (and the short also gone - if that is truly the problem) the console will still boot, this cap is just bypass

Thanks

if the problem comes from this capacitor, I just remove this capacitor and the console will boîte, that’s it?

Yup, but I don’t think the cap is actually the problem, whats the resistance in ohms across it?

Thé résistance that I found 56 ohms

Thats normal on this rail

Any Idea to explain why this capacitor is shorted ?

It’s not shorted, it’s 56 ohms :slight_smile:

your meter is likely just beeping as it has a “high” threshold.

1 Like

donde puedo conseguir squematico completos de nintendo switech yo quiero comprarlos mi correo es mariperez23121989@gmail.com gracias

1 Like

Hello! were you able to get schematics? I would like to get them too! Thank you!

i have a problem like this but am not getting 1.35v would that mean that the max77620 is bad ???
because i get 1.8v 3.3v 1.15v and 1.1v but just not 1.35v. been on it for the for the entire day. so i might give up for now but please i need to know if the chip is respondable for the 1.35v or does it get it somewhere else if so where???. thanks again