Nintendo Switch doesn't power on/weird charging

Wed Feb 24 21-07-07

I feel a little dumb, i just realised they are the same component so the schematics are the same. Btw even that diode is good :slight_smile:

It would seem somebody has reworked the fuel gauge, i think at this point it would be pointless checking readings on it’s surrounding components as it’s pretty likely it’s either faulty or not soldered properly.

The IC has a black polymer top, and the bare die below. Check there is no chips or cracks in the die below, around the corners etc… this will be hard to spot without a decent microscope.

You might want to order one of these IC’s ready, they come preballed so you don’t have to worry about stencil and paste at the very least :slight_smile:

Sorry, my bad. In the last days I ve extract it to see if i could get another switch fixed but then when i put it back I think i’ve put too much pressure on tweezers or something else, i didn’t notice.

Ok,I’ll try

Oh good :slightly_smiling_face:

Ah i see, well if you have the stencil and paste now, the IC might be ok, remove it and tin it with leaded not touching the IC directly with the iron, place stencil on it, maintain even downward pressure on stencil with tweezers and don’t release this pressure throughout, apply paste, wipe of excess with cotton swab, bring up to reflow temps, when it’s cool, pop the IC out of stencil. Wick the pads on the board, then reflow the IC back into place, no nudging is required, and downward pressure shouldn’t be used at the best of times but particulaly when you working with BGA IC’s

I expressed wrong. I still don’t have the stencils :frowning: . Ordered the chip btw

Bonjour, j’ai un court circuit au niveau du bleu et rouge quand j’essaye de les mesurer il y a rien est ce normal ?

Sorry i don’t speak french.

The google translation doesn’t make sense…

Hello, I have a short circuit in the blue and red when I try to measure them there is nothing is this normal?

What is the resistance relative to ground at these points?

puis je vous envoyer une video

Sure, upload it to youtube and post a link :slight_smile:

Hi! Sorry if I reactivate the thread but I moved and I forgot the switch somewhere in a dark corner, now I put my hands back on it and soldered the missing chip. Always no charging :frowning:

WIN_20220212_21_42_21_Pro

I checked almost every single capacitor across the board and found no shorts. I also checked the diodes and the one in the figure seems to behave strangely with the red probes of the multimeter at the top and the black one at the bottom I detect .129 while on the contrary .842
Is it normal?

That’s the 5v power circuit for fan and joycon. There should be a pad close by that will give you 5v. Resistance to ground is 3k3. Issues with this rail rarely prevent boot though.

With the fuel gauge refitted, can you take another snap of the power/batter page on Hekate please?

Just to check, but your M92 is fitted, right?

1 Like

Checked the 5v pad but only gives me battery charge (4v), resistance to ground in that point goes from 0L to 0.72kohms every second meanwhile in the diode is 6.7 kohms. I tried rebooting into hekate but the screen now is all black :frowning: (tegrarmc still inject correctly)
here’s a photo of the m92
WIN_20220213_16_45_10_Pro

One the 5v check front - here is a diagram of exactly where you need to take the measurement.

1 Like

Just to add to this, your fuel gauge looks a little wonky… possibly a bad reball (?) which would be number one concern for black screen no boot symptoms

Would agree with @SheriffBuck to check the stats in Hekate if the console is unpatched

1 Like

Oh okay thank you, I follewed another schematic and checked a different point. I ll check it asap

Should I try to remove it and check if it turns on without it? (and if so try ordering another one?)

The console won’t boot without it unfortunately, you can get a pretty good idea of it’s health by looking at it’s stats in Hekate though

No 5V here, it shows me 0.00 mV, even when i power it on with usb and battery, resistance to ground is correct (3.33 kohms)

This circuit doesn’t enable until a little later in boot, however resistance checks out OK, and problems with this circuit rarely impact boot process.

If payload is being successfully injected (TegraRCM code 0x7000), you should be able to get to the Hekate text mode screen without an SD card, without battery connected & EMMC unplugged.

If this isn’t happening you could have one of the following:

• Issue with display backlight subsystem - check LCD under bright light
  • Issue with the LCD connector or drive circuit (does the screen glow black?)
  • Power rail issues (see diagram below)
  • SOC/RAM issues

@Severence - Anything else I’m missing in the list?

Can you check all rails marked on the above diagram against the expected resistances in the table please? This is for Erista (original v1) boards which I expect yours to be if it is unpatched. Black probe on ground and red probe on test pads.

Good luck!
Sheriff

1 Like